skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Sordid Story of
D·R·E·W © W·O·O·D
5604 Zenith Avenue South • Minneapolis, MN 55410 • 612.298.7606 • huckwood@gmail.com
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Chapter 1 - The MISSION of Drew -->
Whether you call it writing or wordsmithing, creative or formal, copywriting or journalism, I can put words to the page with flair and focus -- sometimes more flair than focus. From journalism to copy editing to grad school to teaching, I have devoted my life to becoming a better writer and creative communicator without regard for my path’s perception. Consequently, my journey has been unique and my résumé is somewhat unlikely. But don’t be distracted by the Technicolor nature of it. Instead, believe in my journey and know that because of it I can work across genre and without the burden of boundary while engaging an audience and staying true to the tone of the piece, publication or organization to which I am charged. In a word, give me a chance and I’ll make my mom proud.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Chapter 2 - The EDUCATION of Drew -->
CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY - Orange, California
Wilkinson College of Letters - MA/MFA, May 2007
Master of Arts, English • Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing • GPA: 3.839
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA - Minneapolis, Minnesota
College of Liberal Arts - Bachelor of Arts, May 2002
Major: Individually Designed Interdepartmental Major • Concentrations: Creative Writing, Journalism, and Film Studies • Additional Emphasis on Literature and Photography • GPA: 3.426
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Chapter 3 - The EXPERIENCE of Drew -->
MINNESOTA BUSINESS MAGAZINE [@ TIGER OAK PUBLICATIONS] - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Editor in Chief, June 2010 – Present (Managing Editor, April 2009 - June 2010)
Think of every possible thing you can imagine an editor at a magazine doing, add 37 things to that list, make it rainy and sunny--with no rainbow--at the same time, and you're getting close to what I do on a minutely/hourly/daily/weekly/monthly basis. Beyond that, I oversaw the redesign and relaunch of our fair magazine, I manage the web and the sociable-type media, and I write for METRO Magazine now and then just for kicks and a change of pace.
ORANGE COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL OF THE ARTS - Santa Ana, California
Creative Writing Instructor, February 2006 – May 2008
Trust me, although it totally is, this isn't interesting at all.
COLLEGEWISE, LLC - Irvine, California
Essay Specialist, May 2007 – December 2007
I mean honestly, you don't care about this do you?
IVY COLLEGE PREP - Irvine, California
Tutor/Instructor, May 2007 – September 2007
Or this.
MSP COMMUNICATIONS, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Full-time Editorial Intern, September 2003 - May 2004
And probably not this.
REDPEG MARKETING – Alexandria, Virginia
Field Marketing Manager, June 2001 – August 2001; June 2002 - November 2003
You definitely don't care about this.
MICROGISTIX, INC, Chumbo.com Division - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Copy Editor, September 2000 - June 2001/September 2001 - June 2002
And even I don't care about this.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Chapter 4 - The thing about Drew that doesn’t really fit anywhere else, but he likes to brag about when he can -->
Acceptance into, and completion of, Garrison Keillor’s Composition of Comedy Workshop. University of Minnesota, Spring 2002
The End (Of Act One)